Tuesday, March 1, 2016

MINDO


After working on Saturday to make up for a day missed for Carnival, I ran home to eat, pack, reserve a room in a hostel and make the last bus to Mindo. On my bus ride I sat next to a woman who grew up in Mindo and lived in Quito fairly close to my home stay. We talked for about half the 2 and a half hour ride. Her, her brother and his girlfriend (from Germany....I think) walked me to my hostel! I thought this would be great but turns out the owner of my hostel waited for me at the bus terminal while I waited for him at the hostel... While waiting I met a very interesting man from Belgium, Flor. He kept me company and assured me it would be a lovely stay. The hostel, Las Luciernagas, was spectacular.
The owner returned about an hour after both of us were waiting, but he was laughing and told me not to worry. He is a very easygoing, sweet, and hilarious man from Switzerland who moved to Ecuador about 17 years ago. After spending some time in Quito he bought a property in Mindo to start a hostel. Knowing very little of the land, he found help from a 15 year old boy who had spent his life working. Him and his pregnant 16 year old wife stayed on the property for free in exchange for teaching and building. The hostel had one main area for check in and meals. There was a roof, seats, tables, a small kitchen, but the rest was open to the beauty of Mindo. Throughout my stay, the owner, who's name I cannot recall, offered tea, coffee, and more tea, all for free. There were little cabañas or cabins throughout the property. Mine was right across from the bathroom and had just enough room. It was adorable, peaceful, and quaint.

I went to grab some dinner with Flor and a lady from Holland. Around 10 or so I drifted off, falling asleep to the beautiful sounds of the jungle-esque area.

The breakfast (also complimentary) was hefty and delicious: eggs atop some sort of garlic filled mashed potatoes of sorts. Of course accompanied by tea. This is also the place I found my love for cedrón tea. The tree is unique to Latin America and I will be bringing some home.

Flor and I left on foot in search of the epic waterfalls of Mindo. Many take a taxi up to the entrance, but I wanted to save money and if Flor, a 60 year old man, could walk the whole way, so could I. We walked about 2-3 miles to a small cable car that took us over the trees to the start of the waterfall hikes. We didn't make it to all of them but we saw some beautiful falls. I even tried to swim a bit and get under the waterfall, but fell and decided to stop.





We had some great conversations and some wonderfully silent co-hiking times. Once in town we stopped for some cola to replenish some sugar and bought some bread for lunch makings. We made sandwiches with tomatoes and onions he had back at the hostel. This with some more tea was the perfect meal since breakfast had been so filling. After a few cups of tea, a quick shower, I packed up my stuff and boarded a bus back to the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment