Sunday, January 31, 2016

viernes 19 de enero



Classic delicious breakfast followed by a walk to the bus joined by that nice man again.

We had another show today!
My favorite costumes of theirs!
That makes one everyday this week. I met and spoke with some of the tourists after the show. One was from Seattle, and another couple who were very excited to meet me, are visiting their daughter in Seattle in a few weeks. I also met a Physical Therapist from the states! She was very interested in how I would like to integrate dance into my profession. She said she had always thought dance would be really great for many children with disabilities. It was really great to chat with her. They all wished me luck and thanked me for volunteering my time at SINAMUNE.

After the show the students went home while the staff and volunteers had a seminar on fire safety, given by some firemen of Quito (bomberos). This is likely because of the small electrical fire that happened a few weeks before. PS. I don't think there are smoke detectors here. The first half was a lecture and you guessed it, I did not understand much. But following the lecture, the firemen started controlled fires for staff to learn to use the extinguisher. The first fires were started on a pile of clothes, paper, and newspaper with lighter fluid of sorts. The second fires were started using a gas tank (one I believe is used here for the stove). This one made me a little nervous. Nevertheless everything was fine and I even have a few photos.


At 1 I left with Martina, Kathi, Albita (the other volunteers), and Christofer (teacher), for some encebollados and beer. After refueling, Christofer took us to the Central University of Quito (where he studied Psychology). We found a spot outside the performing arts building to sit and play cards. There were bands playing the whole time. Unfortunately they were what I would call "Screamo". Regardless, I enjoyed observing the University lifestyle here and noting how similar it was to those in the States. They even have a fair amount of hipsters here! I also met one of Christofer's friends who studies theater and dance there. She only spoke Spanish, but it was great talking to her. She seemed like so many people I know from the dance program at Western, aka a really awesome gal.

When it started to get dark we walked down into the central Mariscal area at Plaza Foch. We stopped for a cheese-stuffed tortilla for only 50 cents. It was delicious, and something I will be looking around more for while I am here. They were looking for a bar go to, but being the lame-o I can sometimes be, I decided to catch a taxi home at 7:30... Not sure why I have such little motivation to go out at night and go to bars here, but I am really enjoying being home early and getting lots of sleep.

My family was actually even still out (making me feel a little more lame), but I found some left over arroz relleno in the fridge and warmed some up for dinner. As I was finishing my dishes Marco (host dad), came home. I heated some water for us and we had coffee, bread and cheese while we chatted about places to go in Quito.

After a shower, some catching up with my folks, and booking a hostel in Baños for next weekend, I fell fast asleep.

Zoe

No comments:

Post a Comment